How To Teach Multi Step Word Problems. Give students 5 minutes to solve the problem on their own and to come up with an explanation for their answer. If the numbers in the story are big numbers have the students substitute smaller numbers and use objects to act out the actions in the story problem.
Break down each sentence of the problem and identify the clues. I like having kids write things in their own words. All of the practice problems include reminders of the steps, to help students not only solve the problem but practice the process.
Common Core Math Grade 4, Module 1, Lesson 19 Worksheets (Pdf)
If the numbers in the story are big numbers have the students substitute smaller numbers and use objects to act out the actions in the story problem. It makes me think they are “owning” their learning. Click the link at the end of the post to access the freebies.) each page is split in half.
Identify The Unknown In The Problem.
Have students write this information on a sticky note and place it on the corner of. Solve your thinking with numbers. Break down each sentence of the problem and identify the clues.
Have Them Show Their Work And Explain Their Drawings.
Choose students that have drawings that represent their answers.
Related Posts for How To Teach Multi Step Word Problems
- Good Songs For End Of Year Sports Slideshow
- Fun Activities To Learn Beginning Sounds Of Words
- Teaching Students To Find Their Own Strength
- Best Board Game For 4 Year Olds
- Cover Letter For An Online Teaching Position
- Teaching Place Value With Base 10 Blocks
- Books For 12 Year Old Boys Interested In Science
- Restaurants That Donate Gift Cards For Fundraisers
- Let Your Light Shine Bulletin Board Ideas
- Lesson Plans For Teaching Area And Perimeter